SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LMT 7.62x51 and suppressor choice
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:02 pm 
Silent But Deadly

After many a Google search and some reading, I am no closer to deciding on a suppressor for my gas gun .308. My gun has a 20" stainless steel barrel and whatever suppressor I will get will live on the gun. My preference is something that mounts and doesnt't back off. No budget and no weight concerns. The highest level of reduction is my top concern. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: LMT 7.62x51 and suppressor choice
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:09 pm 
Silent But Deadly

No budget... Surefire Socom. Probably the best available right now.

I was waitng on AAC's 90T but it seems like that's going to be awhile. I also trust Silencerco to make a nice rifle can but their 762 doesn't have an ETA and their 556 is so many months behind when they thought it would ship. The new KAC cans might be out, not sure, I see nothing they offer that's better than the less expensive surefire, you need to be working on being assholes if you are priced higher than surefire. No one has a mount besides thread mount I would get from any other company. I wouldn't put thread mount on that gun... So, surefire seems like the best option honestly.

I suppose the AAC MK13-SD / 300-SD would be a fine option if you are ok with that mount ONLY working on that can and they've already announced another 90T mount like it but incompatible, so it's obviously not the best choice for future cans. It's Ti where-as the a surefire socom is probably tougher steel, it's 5oz or so less though. Trade-offs.

I haven't heard the full story but it looks like the mil chose the AAC mk13 AND the Surefire 762Socom for their sniper rifles. Only bolt guns so far as I have seen but this was apparently after extensive testing. I was in a similar boat and looked at every can from every mfg twice before deciding on the socoms.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:14 pm 
Silent Operator

After much much much consideration I bought a YHM Ti 762. And then I bought my LMT MWSE. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:48 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Have been extremely pleased with the SAS Titanium Arbiter 30 cal can. Is rated to 300 Win Mag and has a lifetime Warrantee. Ti cans should not be gotten too hot, but I haven't had that problem at all with 5.56, 6.8, 300 BLK and 7.62. Suppression is superb and I have seen essentially no point of impact change.

For the price of a Surefire Socom you can buy two Arbiters (or pretty close to that).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:32 pm 
Silent But Deadly

AAC or Thunder Beast , OPS Inc for 308. New Surefire cans pretty are slick .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:04 pm 
Silent Operator

Don't have it in hand, but after doing much analysis, I bought a Thunder Beast 30P-1. If you're doing this as a dedicated can, I'd say this would be one of the best. The guys who make them are competitive LD shooters and use their products to win, which is a pretty good endorsement in and of itself. Quiet and accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:27 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
Don't have it in hand, but after doing much analysis, I bought a Thunder Beast 30P-1. If you're doing this as a dedicated can, I'd say this would be one of the best. The guys who make them are competitive LD shooters and use their products to win, which is a pretty good endorsement in and of itself. Quiet and accurate.

Nailed it! Great group of people to deal with. The surprising thing is how few know about them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:00 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Surefire doesn't post any metered dB reduction levels. My guess (perhaps wrong?) is that the MG model would provide better suppression over the shorter standard SOCOM model. I just wish I knew what I was getting for the extra money.

Is it a bad idea to get the larger suppressor if it is apparently for MGs and not semi auto gas guns?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:50 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Abacab wrote:
Surefire doesn't post any metered dB reduction levels. My guess (perhaps wrong?) is that the MG model would provide better suppression over the shorter standard SOCOM model. I just wish I knew what I was getting for the extra money.
Is it a bad idea to get the larger suppressor if it is apparently for MGs and not semi auto gas guns?

You would definitely not want to do that. You'd be looking a 20oz for the SOCOM-RC to 30oz for the SOCOM-MG. That's WAY too heavy for a general purpose 762 can. POI shift and lugging the MG around make it a poor choice. I bet it's just fine for what it was designed for though.