SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A2 Birdcage adapter for silencer?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:10 pm 

Fairly new to the forum - my first tax stamp is on the way for what I'm sure will be the first in a list of upcoming NFA items. I've searched for this but my searchfoo must not be strong. I have a AR 6.8spc with a 14.7 in barrel and pinned A2 flash attachment. Does someone make a generic adapter that will fit directly to the existing birdcage for suppressor attachment? I know the alternative is to have a gunsmith remove the standard A2 and then reinstall and pin one of the existing flash suppressors that are compatible with suppressors. I don't really have a feel for any good gunsmiths in the area to do this. Thanks for any guidance/help.

Post subject: Re: A2 Birdcage adapter for silencer?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:44 pm 
Silent But Deadly

sgtdevildog wrote:
Fairly new to the forum - my first tax stamp is on the way for what I'm sure will be the first in a list of upcoming NFA items. I've searched for this but my searchfoo must not be strong. I have a AR 6.8spc with a 14.7 in barrel and pinned A2 flash attachment. Does someone make a generic adapter that will fit directly to the existing birdcage for suppressor attachment? I know the alternative is to have a gunsmith remove the standard A2 and then reinstall and pin one of the existing flash suppressors that are compatible with suppressors. I don't really have a feel for any good gunsmiths in the area to do this. Thanks for any guidance/help.

Unless you are buying a can that specifically mounts to the A2 flash hider I am not aware of any such device. My recommendation is to send the gun to a competent gunsmith (American Precision Arms, Tornado Tech, Yankee Hill, GA precision, etc) and have them remove the pinned flash hider, inspect the threads for concentricity, and install (and pin) the new mount. Resist the temptation to take it to your local back of the gun shop gunsmith. I found out the hard way that is a bad idea.

What type of can did you buy?

SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD

Post subject: Re: A2 Birdcage adapter for silencer?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:04 pm 

I purchased an AAC Prodigy for a browning buckmark. Am putting a 4" tacsol barrel on it. I figure it won't be long before I start looking for a can for my AR - I've got an LWRC M6A2 that once I get the mount figured out I'll get some kind of suppressor for.