SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PTR 91 Issues
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:09 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I bought a PTR about 6 months ago. This rifle is super accurate out of the box. Unfortunately it is very picky about what it eats. I contacted PTR and they blamed the ammo.

I have tried several different brands of ammo and about half of them would cycle the rifle. The other half would move the bolt carrier about an inch to the rear.

I have seen more and more issues like mine popping up on HKPRO. Anyone on here have these issues? Real 91's will eat anything you feed them so why won't these? Are PTR's chambers out of spec?

That is the only thing I can think that would be causing this. I love the accuracy of this rifle but if it will not work with what ever ammo I can get my hands on at the time it is useless to me. Any ideas other than buying a real 91?

This is my Shield. I bear it before me in battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow, nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me, facing the enemy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:12 pm 
Silencertalk Goon Squad

I'm sorry to read your troubles.

My PTR-91 shoots everything I have put through it, and that's mostly 99% Wolf.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:37 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Shit. Maybe I should invest in some wolf. How accurate is it with wolf.

This is my Shield. I bear it before me in battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on my left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow, nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me, facing the enemy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:29 pm 
Elite Member

My PTR-91 was produced less than 2 years ago. It has never failed, no matter what ammo I've used.

You may need to send it back to PTR-91 Inc. to have them check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:57 am 
Silent But Deadly

700PSS wrote:
My PTR-91 was produced less than 2 years ago. It has never failed, no matter what ammo I've used.

You may need to send it back to PTR-91 Inc. to have them check it out.

I considered this until actually speaking with PTR. They were so sure it was the ammo that they advised me if it worked with the ammo they use I would be charged for gunsmith time and return shipping.

The problems I'm hearing about now including mine seem to be with recently produced rifles. The day I test fired mine there was an old man a few benches down with the exact rifle I have. He was having the same problem.

From everything I've gathered on other sites people are thinking the flutes in PTR's chambers are slightly out of spec. I'm no gunsmith but this sounds like it could be causing the problem. Any further input would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:10 am 
Silent But Deadly

The only advise I can give is to make sure your flutes are nice and clean and that the gun isn't filled with nasty packing grease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:12 am 
Silent But Deadly

Twinsen wrote:
The only advise I can give is to make sure your flutes are nice and clean and that the gun isn't filled with nasty packing grease.

Did that...twice. Im starting to think DSA FAL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:14 am 
Silent But Deadly

I'd never condone that. /sarcasm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:16 am 
Silent But Deadly

I have an early SACO imported H&K91 that I bought 32 years ago. That gun will function with the grungest surplus ammo every time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:03 am 
Elite Member

millo2115 wrote:
I considered this until actually speaking with PTR. They were so sure it was the ammo that they advised me if it worked with the ammo they use I would be charged for gunsmith time and return shipping.

What a great customer service attitude. :x That and uncorrected problems with products will eventually cause a business to fail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:08 pm 
Silent But Deadly

millo2115 wrote:
They were so sure it was the ammo that they advised me if it worked with the ammo they use I would be charged for gunsmith time and return shipping.

Find out what ammo they use and test it yourself. If it fails then you'll have a reasonable chance that it'll do the same when you ship it to them. If it runs fine then at least you'll know what ammo you can use, or to recommend to a buyer if you decide to sell it.

Post subject: PTR91
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:54 pm 
Silent Operator

I think its the ammo. I have one a few months old, eats Wolf like popcorn, used some old Israeli stuff I had around would not extract it and when it did spits it 2 feet from the rifle???. The Wolf, south african, portuguese etc. shoot good and fly 20ft away about 2 o'clock like my actual HK does. I also think they need a little more breaking in than what you would expect or like. It is after all NOT an HK. I have NEVER had my HK fail to digest any ammo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:29 am 
Silent But Deadly

Mine will have nothing to do with South African. It would FTEject Igman for the first three rounds. Then It would eject the spent casings about 6 inches away and then get a little stronger the more I shot. But the ejections with Igman when they did eject were always pretty weak. What makes these rifles so picky about the ammo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:08 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Strange, HK's are known for throwing brass like you wouldn't believe. I've shot prone from the ground and thrown brass 30 ft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:02 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Oh hey, maybe your magazine is a piece of shit. I've got a pile of 30 or 40 G3 mags and maybe half of them are worth the $2 I paid for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:10 am 
Silent But Deadly

Check your extractor and extractor spring. Keep spares.

SFCat66

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:57 pm 

HK's will extract without extractor. This will not be the problem.
here is a video of an HK91 with the extractor removed and it will still extract. You should check the condition of the flutes. Possible poor reaming, damage, or foreign object such as debris.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK52PNJ1awM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:59 pm 
Silent But Deadly

The Mechanic wrote:
You should check the condition of the flutes. Possible poor reaming, damage, or foreign object such as debris.

I have done this. The flutes in the neck are cut deep but the flutes of the chamber walls are clean but almost non existent. PTR knows about this but they insist it is the ammunition I am using. Last I checked HK91's did not have a long list of no no ammo. The way I see it if these chambers were in spec they would eat almost anything. Here are some pics of a fired casing. The fluting marks on the case below the neck are very faint and in some spots not there at all. I have a 53 and the marks are dark and visible 3/4 the length of the casing. Some of these pics look the same but they are different sides of the casing. Does this look normal for a 91?

Last edited by millo2115 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:28 pm 

My HK91 will shoot ANYTHING and I mean anything. If that is all that they think about their product, than I would get some factory ammo with a good camcorder and record as many of the failures as you can. Then post them to you tube and every other major video site that there is and post on every forum you can get on to show what a piece "O" junk you got and that customer service has been horrible. Be truthful and explain everything in detail. This many times will get them to act responsibly and take care of problems that should have been fixed such as worn out reamers etc. wear out. Don't give them the benefit of the doubt tell them that after you fix your NEW rifle then you will remove video etc. from the net.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:02 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I got two when they first came out one for me and one for my brother both guns where jamomatics. Found out allot of the lower serial range guns had problems with chambers being too tight and crooked receivers. We both took a loss and traded them for other guns. My DSA works great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:20 pm 

the flute marks on the body are WAY to light. My 91 will make very visable and felt marks all the way down the body. It has NEVER failed to shoot any ammo I have put in a magazine whether hand loads, military, or just junk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:51 pm 
Elite Member

I'd be willing to bet at this point that the chamber is not fluted properly. This condition would result in the case not smoothly extracting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:43 pm 
Silent But Deadly

millo2115 wrote:
Mine will have nothing to do with South African. It would FTEject Igman for the first three rounds. Then It would eject the spent casings about 6 inches away and then get a little stronger the more I shot. But the ejections with Igman when they did eject were always pretty weak. What makes these rifles so picky about the ammo?

Check the gap between the bolt carrier and the bolt with feeler gauges and see if if it's in spec.

Failure to eject is often caused by a low grip frame / ejector height.

I have a self built PTR and an HK91. My PTR is a better rifle (paddle mag release and is more accurate). Assuming the barrel chamber is correct I would take a close look at the grip frame / shelf height.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:00 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Take that POS and trade/sell it. Tell the PTR builder to eat a dick it they won't fix their junk shit, and let others know they operate like this.

My son's B code 91 eats anything and shoots MOA with my M24 handload.